My Visitors

Tuesday 28 September 2010

15 September 2010

It's a busy week in Copiapo this week due to the upcoming long weekend. It appears that while Chile normally celebrates its Independence Day on the 18th of September with quite a bit of enthusiasm, this years celebrations will be much bigger than normal due to it being the bicentennial of independence. The 18th has, as luck would have it, fallen on the weekend this year. For fairly obvious reasons, the government has therefore seen fit to make it a 4-day weekend, with many activities planned in all areas of the country. Indeed, the whole country has been gearing up for the weekend for the entire time I've been here, but the last few weeks have seen those preparations hit overdrive. As I've mentioned previously, for me, it is the perfect opportunity to get a long way out from Copiapo and see some more of the world here, as well as forgetting about my travails with passports and the Australian government bureacracy.

As I've also banged on about, the bike comes with several boxes for luggage, so my preparations for the weekend have involved making piles. As is perfectly normal, I have an "essential" pile and a "nice to have" pile. For the moment, the essential pile is considerably larger than other, so it will probably come down to either having to leave out lots of essential stuff, or just taking the whole damn lot! I'm leaving it until tomorrow to actually try packing things into the boxes – you can't rush these things...

Today has also involved the purchase of a new rear tyre for the bike, something I've managed to arrange entirely in Spanish (another little feel-good moment). At least, I think that is what I've arranged. The truth will be revealed when I collect the bike as to what I've actually asked for!

Today was also quite hot, and as a portent of things to come during summer, and not a great sign. By the middle of the morning, it was allegedly 34 degrees outside. Regardless of the actual temperature, it's plenty warm in the office, and it is looking like I'll be having to battle with Lizette about the airconditioner. It seems that she might not be a fan of them, whereas I think they are one of the greatest inventions of the 20th century (along with disposable nappies!). I guess we'll see how that goes in due course, but for today, it's windows open as far as they'll go to encourage the breeze, and some wishful thinking about having worn shorts to work! It has certainly warmed up very quickly. It doesn't seem like long ago and it was snowing on the hills surrounding town! Aaah, such is spring. It is fortunate that the nights are still cool so that my apartment (minus any kind of fan or airconditioner) is still a pleasant place to be, rather than the oven that it might be.

We're having another BBQ at the Guest House tonight to celebrate the end of our drilling program at Buenaventura. It's an early arrival time – 9PM! As usual, I'm running a little late, but it's also no big deal, as there is no obsession with time here in Chile. On my arrival at around 9:10PM, nobody is there except Victor, who is only just out of the shower and is getting ready. It works out very well, as I can spend 15 minutes attaching my new GPS holder to the handlebars of the bike with the tools in the storage shed. It is rumoured that the holder isn't very strong and is likely to break off on the rough roads, but I have faith in it. It seems quite robust and very well designed.

Just for a change, the party goes late. I do a runner at about 1.30AM and get some desperately needed shut-eye. And what was it about the morning being quite hot? It is cold on the way back to the apartment, and I'm wishing for at least one more layer of clothes, despite the several that I have. Hmmm, packing for this weekend will be even more of a challenge, in catering for both hot and cold options.

Chao,

A

No comments:

Post a Comment