My Visitors

Monday 6 September 2010

30 August 2010

It's Monday night and I've gone to bed and, as usual, fall asleep very quickly. I wake at about 1.30AM and quickly realise what it is that has woken. There's a couple of idiots having a chat out in the street, and despite the fact that I'm on the fifth floor of the building, it seems like they are just outside my window.

After waiting for a few minutes and trying to get back to sleep, it seems they aren't going anywhere and I'm now annoyed enough that it is bothering me. Drat and bother.

I grab my glasses and go to the windows to try and understand why on Earth anyone would think it a good idea to be having a long chat at this time of night. As I pull the curtains apart enough to discretely look out, the reason becomes clear. Two of the three individuals are clearly not "ordinary citizens". One in particular is in a spectacularly short skirt, long blonde hair cascading everywhere, and seems to be talking the loudest. The other is in high heels, but dressed more sensibly, at least wearing jeans and a half decent top. The third is a man, fairly non-descript and seems to be just part of the chatting.

A more thorough inspection of the blonde in the short skirt leads quickly to the conclusion that all might not be as it appears. Let me see. Very broad shoulders and not the most feminine voice in the world, facial features that aren't quite feminine. Hmmm, definitely suspicious!

So, I decide to capture the moment and then go back to bed. Camera on, zoomed in and subjects framed appropriately, night-shot setting selected, focus completed, then squeeze the shutter button. There is a click as the flash pops open and the whole room lights up as the flash explodes with its burst of bright white light. I'd overlooked that one little thing that would've enabled me to complete the exercise discretely - turn the automatic flash off! Doh! I look out into the street in the hope that they haven't noticed, but clearly they have. All three are looking in my direction and the blonde gives me a cheeky little wave.


Serves me right I guess. Back to bed, feeling slightly foolish at the whole exercise, and I sleep like a baby until the morning.

Chao chao,

A

No comments:

Post a Comment