My Visitors

Friday 15 October 2010

24 September 2010

G'day.

Forewarned with the knowledge gained during my miserable experience with the Embassy in Santiago last time, I arrive this time with what I feel is realistic optimism, rather than the naive optimism of previously.  I expect to be rebuffed in the first instance, just because they can, and then I'll just sort out the problem and then it will be all over.  I expect it'll still take a few hours, but I'll still be done before lunch!

Following on from the Embassy, my plans to catch up with Barbara (my lawyer) to discuss my visa fell in a bit of a hole when she revealed she was out of Santiago on Friday, but if I was here on Monday, I should pop in.  Bummer.

Out from the airport, off to the Embassy in the taxi and let's see what happens.  Deep breath as I walk through the revolving door and into the foyer.  Aaah, perfect.  Nobody waiting at the front desk.  I even get the same lady as last time, although she greets my smile with complete indifference and a lack of "Hmmm, maybe I've seen you before...".  Yeah, I know they must see a heap of people through the door, but I flatter myself that I'm rather more memorable than the average Chilean.  But obviously not.

I'm issued with my tag, then it's in to the elevator.  The security guard ever so helpfully points me to an elevator going completely in the wrong direction, despite the one that I wanted opening right behind me.  I can't help but smile!

The chica at the front desk inside the Embassy greets me by name!  How surprising is that!  I get to take a seat and watch the BBC world news for 5 minutes while waiting for an operative to interview me.  To my relief, it isn't the lady who did me over last time, but an enthusiastic gent who couldn't have been more helpful and happy.  We went through the entire interview process again, and I explained my roadblocks last time, as well as addressing all of the concerns that were raised.  In his enthusiasm to get me processed, he concluded that yep, everything was in order and I could go about my business.  Unfortunately when I asked about the little blank section on one part, it seems that yes, you do actually have to fill that bit out too.  Lucky you spotted it, he said...  So close...

Still, after an hour (or thereabouts), complete with multiple copies of things being made, the forms are completed to the satisfaction of both of us, and I'm free to go to the front desk and hand over a truckload of cash for the application fee.  Yes, I actually would like a receipt, thanks very much.

Given that today is a Friday, don't count on anything happening.  It's take about two weeks for the passport to arrive.  At my signs of agitation regarding my need to exit Chile by the 14th, I'm reassured that they say two weeks just to be sure.  It should be there within that time.  They promise that they'll send it to me in Copiapo once it arrives.  Hooray - I'll be a complete person again (i.e. I'll have identification, so therefore I'll be 'real').

Out into the wild world, it's time for a celebratory chai latte, and then the search for lunch.  There is an excellent vegetarian restaurant a few streets from the Plaza de Armas in the Centro area of Santiago, so I head there (yum), followed by a couple of hours of pottering away on the computer for the afternoon.  A delicious pizza for dinner from just near where I'm staying, and it's off to bed in readiness for Valparaiso tomorrow.

A successful day.

Byeee!

No comments:

Post a Comment