My Visitors

Saturday 19 December 2015

17 December 2015 – Tur Bus

Off to Temuco today via Tur Bus, but first we have to get ready.  Surprisingly enough, we manage to be ready BEFORE it’s time to go.  Late yesterday we found out that there is a strike at the airport, causing chaos with flights in and out of Santiago.  Figuring that this might cause a spike in demand for buses, we head off to the bus terminal a bit earlier than originally planned.  Seems it might have been a wise choice, with the traffic heavier than expected and it being a bit further than we figured.
On getting out of the taxi, I have one of my less good moments.  In Chile, and particularly Santiago, I’m well aware of the taxi scam where a tourist hands the taxi driver a 10,000 peso note and looks away.  The driver then says hey, it’s not enough and shows a 1,000 peso note.  The tourist, not being familiar with the currency, then apologises and hands over another 10,000 peso note.  Unfortunately on this occasion, it played out almost exactly as written.  EXCEPT, I was distracted enough with trying to get out of the taxi that I may well have handed over a 1,000 peso note originally.  I had reached into my wallet and thinking the notes at the back were the 10,000 peso ones, I took the first one and handed it over without looking, then went to get out.  Hey, he said, it’s not enough, showing me the 1,000 peso note.  I curse myself for not paying more attention but because I’m not sure, I have no recourse but to hand over a real 10,000 peso note.  Bugger.  While I don’t think I was scammed, there is enough doubt to have me continuing to wonder.  Andrea, very helpfully, is furious with me, concluding that I was most definitely scammed.  I can’t take a trick…
We collect our pre-booked tickets without having to queue and without fuss.  Remarkably easy.  That might be the first time I’ve used those words in Chile!
Our bus arrives and on we get.  We’re in Salon Cama class – the fancy(ish) downstairs part with the seats that recline almost to horizontal.  Andrea kindly reminds me to be paranoid about everyone, because everyone will be out to rob the gringo.
The trip is long and mostly event-free.  At our first stop, Andrea ducks off to the toilet, which takes longer than it does to deposit and receive passengers.  The buses run to such tight timeframes that they pull out of the parking bay without us (or the conductor) on the bus, so we have to run a little to get back on.  At our third stop, it’s my turn to be almost left behind.  I had to wait to get my toilet entry token for about a minute while the lady attended to someone who wanted to collect his left luggage from the same location.  She moved, literally and without a word of exaggeration, in slow motion.
We arrived into Temuco about 20 minutes behind schedule, but nonetheless safely, which is no mean feat given Tur Bus’ relatively poor safety record over the years.  It was comfortable enough and not very expensive (on this leg).
The family are pleased to see us, as expected and have a nice dinner waiting for us.  It’s light until nearly 10pm, which is still catching us out.  It seems like it has only just gone dark and we look at the clock and realise why we are so tired – it’s nearly midnight.  I climb into bed and am asleep in about 30 seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment