My Visitors

Tuesday 8 December 2015

8 December 2015 - a couple of art galleries and some traffic

After several days of poor sleep due to jetlag, I’ve finally slept through last night.  It’s such a relief…

At the hotel, I’ve discovered the bagel collection available during breakfast.  Best of all, I’ve found that they have cinnamon and raisin bagels, which are more or less the same flavour as raisin toast back in Australia, but better!  All I need is some vegemite…

Today was Art Gallery day.  We went on a long drive this morning, leaving the hotel at about 9.30AM.  I presume that this is the very tail end of rush hour, and the traffic was so crazy that I can’t imagine how it would be during the full-on rush hour.  We arrived in Westwood Village (to the west of Beverly Hills) at about 11AM, although it is fair to say our route may not have been optimal.  We found the most expensive parking lot in the area, charged $2.80 every 15 minute block, up to a maximum of $22 per day.  Despite taking umbrage at this, I couldn’t reverse out because of the cars in the street, so in we went, steam coming out of my ears.  Andrea was quite to remind me that she didn’t say we should go in.

So, we headed over the road to the Hammer Museum, which is part of the University of California (UCLA).  It was free entry, which helped with the pain of the parking.  After visiting the first display and being somewhat disappointed at what passed for art, Alma noticed that the building had parking underneath.  I went and checked with reception and found that they charged $3 for 3 hours.  With great delight, I went back to the original parking lot and took the car out.  Despite having been there for only about 20 minutes, I was in to the second time period, so it cost $5.60, which is the poorest return on $5.60 that I’ve ever had.  After a few laps of the block with the museum, and an illegal(?) u-turn, I finally managed to park the car and join the girls.

I had missed the first gallery they went to, which on the basis of what we saw in the first gallery, didn’t concern me at all.  The second gallery was entitled THE IDEA OF NORTH : The paintings of Lawren Harris.  With low expectations, in we went.  Well, fair to say, the collection was outstanding.  Fabulous paintings of Canada’s north from around 90 years ago.  Can’t recommend them highly enough.

In an additional chamber in the same building, there was a small collection of paintings from famous masters like Rembrandt, Rubens, Goya, Cezanne, Degas, Gauguin, Monet, and Toulouse-Lautrec.  My favourite was the portrait attributed to Gericault (his most famous work is Raft of the Medusa).  Small collection, but fabulous.

The next exhibition of entitled UH-OH by Frances Stark and unfortunately represents everything I hate about modern artists and art.  Pretentious claptrap and junk masquerading as art.  While the Rembrandt, Rubens, Goya etc will surely still be considered masterpieces in another 200 years, the other will hopefully have long been consigned to the rubbish bin.

At the gift shop, I was pleased to find an interesting tea towel that I thought would be great for Andrea’s workshop.  It was a list of reasons why it is great to be a woman artist.  They were all ironic/sarcastic, but was quite amusing.  Most amusing however was the price.  US$35 for a printed tea towel.  I’m still giggling…

After we left, we continued driving east down Wilshire Drive and we passed through Beverly Hills.  That was an experience.  Lots of shiny things.  Our baby magpie was impressed!  I must admit to secretly enjoying the car shops.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen a McLaren shop before…

Ultimately we arrived at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA).  Being about 1.30pm, we took the advantage to have a quick lunch from one of the many food trucks parked out the front.  I went with the green organic food truck and a vegan burger which was very delicious.  The girls went with some other thing that came with chips.  I think they were only moderately happy.  The chips were twice cooked, as is the current fad amongst the foodies, however they seemed a bit overcooked.

By chance, we had arrived at the Museum on free entry day.  The first gallery was a series of Japanese woodcut prints which were extraordinarily detailed and just wonderful.  They’re not something I normally think much about, but every time I see a display of them, I love them.  There was another display elsewhere in the complex but we didn’t get to them, which was a bit disappointing.

Second gallery was a collection of German left-wing propaganda from immediately after WW1.  Powerful works.  Certainly not to my taste though.

The next gallery was a collection donated by the Lazarof’s.  Interesting collection, including a lot of German and Eastern European works from post WW1.  Grim but nonetheless impressive works.

Following that was a collection of more modern works (largely 1950’s and 1960’s?) by US artists.  At some point, there was a gallery of Picasso’s works.  My but he was a strange fish…  Some impressive works but others feel like he was just cashing in on his name.

Some other works, including the famous tomato soup can by Andy Warhol.  There was also one by another artist featuring a Spam can.  More interesting than it sounds.

My least favourite was a large diamond shape, painted white.  Apparently someone paid good money to purchase it for the gallery.  When I get home I’m going to do a series based on this work and see how much I can get.  I suspect that it won’t be enough to retire on…

A quick trip through the South Pacific art collection completed the Ahmanson Building and we headed to the Broad Contemporary Art Museum (part of the LACMA complex).  Unfortunately we only had time for the Junk Dada collection by Noah Purifoy.  Against expectations, I quite enjoyed it, with some pretty cool works.  Vastly better than the earlier works of Ms. Stark.

After leaving LACMA, we decided to continue driving east along Wilshire Drive.  There was lots of traffic but at least it was moving, so we continued on.  We saw a staggering number of Starbucks and every other chain store you can imagine.  El Pollo Loco (the crazy chicken) is my favourite, in terms of its name.  No idea of the food quality.

We eventually arrived at an intersection where we could get onto a freeway to get back to our hotel, however it was choked with cars so we continued along Wilshire.  Eventually that got more and more choked, so we tried to get onto a freeway nearby.  A kind man at an intersection pointed out the way to get on the freeway.  He may have been homeless, as after giving us the advice, he waved a plastic cup at us.  We gave him a dollar, which he seemed happy enough with.  Karma renewed, we got onto the freeway and guess what.  It was pretty much choked with cars.  We continued for the better part of an hour and a half before we got back to the hotel.  It’s hard to describe.  We were on only one of the many freeways crossing LA.  Each and every one is a good 4-6 lanes wide, each direction, running for many kilometres, all choked with cars.  And then all the minor streets we had traversed earlier were full of cars.  It’s like everyone in LA gets to 4pm and thinks that it is a great idea to go out onto the freeways and drive around for a couple of hours.  Ugh.

So, another day done and dusted.  Off to bed we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment