My Visitors

Sunday 15 August 2010

11 August 2010

Hi all,


For me, an amazing event occurred today in Copiapo.


No, my wallet wasn't handed in by one of the locals, everything still there, including the money.


Even better. It rained.


Not just a passing shower either, but rain that meant the streets got wet, the gutters had water flowing in them, windscreen wipers were used in cars, people had umbrellas out and so on. We left town to visit the drill rig at maybe 11AM or so and it was raining, and we returned at about 2.30PM and it was still raining. It wasn't heavy rain, but steady, light rain was a fantastic sight to see and will boost the chances of seeing many more flowers in the desert this season.





Fantastic, or so I thought. There were any number of people on ladders inspecting their roofs, most likely trying to figure out how to stop the water from getting in. Mission impossible for many I'd reckon, but I guess that it isn't as though it happens very often, so maybe a little bit of water won't be too bad!


It also meant that the day was bloody cold! Everyone at the rig was bundled up with what looked like as many clothes as they could find. Bit of a Michelin Man kind of look happening, but I was certainly envious, given the relative lack of winter gear that I have with me. All of mine will arrive in about two weeks time, so if life's little ironies work out as normal, that should mark the end of the need until next year!



Chao.


A

No comments:

Post a Comment