My Visitors

Wednesday 11 August 2010

6 August 2010

Hola! Buenos dias/buenas tardes/buenas noches, depending on your time of day!

A day of work from my hotel room beckons today, unless someone decides to feel sorry for me and give me a call at some point in the day and invite me to lunch or similar. I have plenty to do following yesterdays meeting, so there will be no worry about being bored!

The majority of the day is spent hunting through our data for information on one of our prospects to the north of Copiapo and compiling it to help with the design of our drill program. All very interesting stuff, so much that before too long I get a knock on the door from room service, and I realise that it is 2pm. The morning has just flown by, with only a few (welcome) distractions from Lizette.

I decide to head out for lunch while my room is being serviced and take a wander in the streets before finding somewhere to eat. This area of Santiago (Vitacura) appears to be relatively old and prosperous, with some large and beautiful houses along the particular street I am wandering. Manicured lawns and gardens, grand old trees and so on. I pay closer attention to some of the discreet signs on the gates and realise that at least some of the houses appear to be the residences of various ambassadors from around the world. Ah, that explains a bit. Ooh, and look, now I can see the security guards lurking around the little gates on some of the entrances. Regardless, none of that detracts from the relative serenity - aaah, the serenity - of the general area (apart from the ever-present hum of distant traffic on the major roads in the background).
The road winds its way around to a little cafe/restaurant hot-spot, which seems as good a place as anywhere for lunch. I wander from advertising board to advertising board, before finally being accosted by a waiter at one of them who offers me an English menu. The restaurant looks OK, so I decide to give it a try. The whole menu looks rather familiar, but I can't place it, until I sit down, at which time I realise that it is one of a chain, and the same brand I was at for lunch yesterday. No bad thing, though, as their onion soup (served in a toasted bread 'tureen') was just excellent!

Back to the hotel and into the work, I again get carried away and suddenly find that it is 6.30pm. I'm at a logical finish point, so I pack up and decide to head to the nearby mall (Parque Arauco) to look for some ski pants etc. for tomorrow. Yep, the big day is only one more sleep away.

It is only a 10-15 minute walk to the mall and once I'm there, I head for the ski shop that I know is on the opposite side of the mall. I duck and weave through the human traffic and find myself somewhat lost. It isn't any great surprise, as it isn't as though I've been there a lot, but I'm in a part where I don't recognise that I've been before, which was a bit disconcerting. I turn a few corners, and I'm back in some level of familiarity, turn a few more corners, and yes, I've gone in a complete circle and I'm back EXACTLY where I started. So much for being the great navigator!

Cutting to the chase, I take the longer, but more successful, route around the outside of the mall and into the ski shop I go. Mid ski-season, and yes, there's a bit of ski stuff around, but equally as much other stuff (water sports, hiking, tennis) there. Another opportunity for Spanglish goes without a language hitch, but comes up against a more practical one. Chileans just aren't my size, with the largest items being XL. We spend a good while comparing the lengths of the XL items and they are all much of a muchness, so I take the opportunity of buying only a cheap pair of pants that will also double up on motorbike duty, as long as I have my big boots. That will work out OK.

I have a bit more of a wander around the mall, decide on an Asian restaurant (representing multiple countries). I decide on some spring rolls, to be followed by stir-fry vegetables.



I can't explain adequately how strange it is to eat spring rolls that contain avocado and cheese, but that is what I get. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't offensive in any way, but just odd. The stir-fry was excellent, and I'm now looking forward to my wok arriving with my belongings (if they ever get here - apparently they are at least in the country, but they just have to clear customs)!

I'm being picked up at 8AM tomorrow, so it's off to bed and try to get a good nights sleep.

Adios for now!

A

No comments:

Post a Comment