My Visitors

Monday 19 July 2010

14 July 2010

Hola!

Well, a couple of days in Santiago have passed all to rapidly. It really is a lovely city (as cities go), or perhaps it is just the part of the city that I am seeing? I've spent the last two days esconced in our lawyers offices, plenty of peace and quiet to get on with some work, with only minor interruptions to talk about my visa documents, the process that is happening, and what I need to do.

A poor young para-legal has had to spend (at least part of) her day yesterday trying to get advice from the Extranjero's (foreign workers) Department, or something similar to that, as to whether I am actually legal or not. It seems that advice from one of the office clerks is the same as I received from the government official in Copiapo - that I have nothing to worry about, that the tourist card is the one with the important date. That gives me a months breathing space.

I discuss this with Barbara, the lawyer who moved the slowest when this job was being handed out, and pointed out that while the advice was nice and reassuring, the officials at the airport when I arrived at the end of May were quite interested in my tourist visa and paid quite some attention to it. This caused a bit of worry, so Barbara decided to make sure by seeking advice from a lawyer in the Extranjero's office. In the end, it turns out that I probably was illegal and as such, I've received a "he's a very naughty boy" letter and "don't do it again" from the relevant government authority, paid for a new tourist visa etc., and have been sent on my way with four additional pieces of paper to carry around in my wallet to help explain it all to anyone foolish enough to question me. If my Spanglish doesn't get them, paperwork will finish them off completely!

All in all, I had a good time in Santiago. Got heaps of data compilation done for a project we are considering, re-acquainted myself with the magnificence of the "Starbucks" coffee chain and their chai-latte's, still the one and only establishment in Santiago/Chile that I've found to date that sell them. Still, the search will continue for a wider choice...

It is now looking like my proper work visa will not be lodged for another week or two. It will then take the government around 4 weeks to provide written acknowledgement that they have received it. Then, and only then, can the process of bringing my meagre belongings to Chile commence. So, at best, I'll have my stuff that is being sent here (the rest is in storage) arrive in around two more months. That'll be about 3.5 months of living out of a "suitcase". I dare say that I'll be so happy to see some of the new stuff that some of the old stuff will be disposed of with extreme prejudice. I've already had to buy a winter coat because the one that I brought with me wasn't up to the job, and this despite having a fantastic one from Edinburgh in my kit to come over. "Such is life", as someone famous once said (was it Benny Cousins?). If we knew how things would turn out, we'd maybe do a few things differently...

Back in Copiapo, I received my first mail package from Australia. Letters (yay), bills (booo!), and other assorted bits and pieces (yay). A good couple of hours sorting through that lot was just the thing!

There's a long weekend coming up this weekend, and I'm off to Santiago again on Friday night for an adventure via bus.

Hope all are well.

A

No comments:

Post a Comment