My Visitors

Monday 26 July 2010

23 July 2010

Hmmm, another working week has disappeared without much that was very memorable, I'm afraid. There was a very small tremor lasting maybe 10-15 seconds, but that was about it. A lot of "head down, bum up", as they say in the classics!

I've pretty much decided during the week that I'd had enough of waiting for my stuff to arrive from Australia, and in particular, my recipe books. I've been cooking pretty much from the small warehouse of things in my memory and it is time for a change. I hope I've mentioned along the way that the legume and pulse section of the super-duper-markets here are pretty extensive, far more than I remember from Australia. There's always the chance that I wasn't paying attention in that part, I suppose, but they are really prominent here. Anyway, I spent a lazy evening perusing some recipe websites for things involving garbanzos (chickpeas), lentejas (lentils) and porotos (beans), which will make for some really different eating (for me).

"Long term" veterans of this blog might remember my flirting with garbanzos before when I made hommus and baba ganoush, but this time, it's serious. I have about 15 recipes to play with, and will probably over-do this, but in the meantime, look out. I've also discovered where they hide the tinned garbanzos. I've bought the dried ones so far and they take a fair bit of preparation and work, and they still end up with the consistency of a soft nut - no tragedy there, as I've still got all of my teeth and the texture is good, but not really as soft as I know they can be (i.e. in the tinned variety), nor as soft as some of the literature describes them as being. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or that is how they're supposed to be...

So, last night (Friday) involved braving the Jumbo again, kitted out with a long list of things to buy. It took nearly 1.5 hours of wandering up and down, looking for the hidden delights, but eventually most things were sourced, and off home to put it all away, ready to get cracking.

First up, chickpea and leek soup for dinner on Friday night. OK, so I was still cooking at about 11.30pm, but there isn't any rush here, particularly on the weekend! It's a bit of a misnomer to call this soup (as it turns out), as it is more of a watery stew. Very good...

Plans for the weekend involve a trip to the motorcycle shop. Mauricio and Lizette are buying a trail bike and I'm going to go along and drool over the KTM's and Aprilia's, but seriously consider one of the Yamaha's.

Will report in again soon.

Chao.

A

No comments:

Post a Comment