My Visitors

Thursday 29 July 2010

29 July 2010

Hola!

Very little to report from the last day or so, but I just thought I'd share (or remind myself at some time in the future) a late night experience from a few days ago.

I'm sitting in my living room, typing away at an email or surfing the net - I can't remember which, and it isn't important for the rest of the story. All of a sudden, there is a tremendous amount of fuss and bother from a collection of the stray hounds that roam the streets here. I'm sure I've mentioned the dogs in the streets before, but that night, they were going off!

I sat and ignored them for a little while, maybe 30 seconds or so, thinking about dog-catchers and "the pound" in Australia and wishing that something like that would exist here, just to clean up the streets. The longer the barking went, I started wishing that they'd shut up, as they'd broken my thoughts about what I was up to. After about a minute, I thought I'd go and see what was going on, as the barking was not slowing down in any way.

There have been occasions before when one or two dogs have been chasing cars or bicycles in the street and creating a bit of a racket, but usually that is a fairly transitory thing. I thought that the best viewing point might be from my bedroom window, so I headed in that direction, drew back the curtains and looked out into the street to see what was happening.

Sure enough, there were a collection of dogs, perhaps the better part of 10 or so all woofing away furiously. Not that they heard my arrival, but it only took a few more seconds and the noise began to subside. Good, I thought, I won't have to yell at them to shut up! I idly wondered what the way of saying "shut up" is in Spanish, however before that thought had finished, the most peculiar sight strolled into view.

I've seen in the local media (newspapers) and been told that there are many hookers in Copiapo, however I had taken the view that much of that was just a bored media and/or bored locals "talking it up" and being deliciously scandalised by the naughtiness of it all. I'd only ever seen one real live hooker here, strutting her stuff along the footpath of the Pan Americana, all thigh-high red leather boots, red mini-skirt, low cut top and big hair. When I recounted my story about seeing this lady, it created much amusement, as (apparently) many of the hookers come with a "surprise" under their skirts, and there was absolute certainty that this person would have been one of those.

Another area of "trade" is apparently the local Plaza, of which I live above. Again, during any of the evenings/nights when I've been out for a walk, I've never seen any evidence of this, and had been very much been of the "yeah, right, pull the other one" kind of view. The public phone box (yes, they still have those here) on the opposite corner of the Plaza is apparently a renowned location to find someone.

Anyway, I'm looking out my windows, late at night, VERY cold (I don't have my heater going very often, but it is definitely on this night). A very leggy girl, very short black mini-skirt, very tight shirt and very high heels, is tottering down the road and trying to avoid the barking hounds. Very clearly a working girl on her way to/from who knows where. As I'm recovering from the shock, another 4-5 girls stroll into view, all heading in the same direction. Yet another appears and is not wearing any pants at all (sorry, only lacy underwear)!

One of the tragedies of my life is that I have no idea how to wolf-whistle. I open the window and have a go, but it is pointless. I continue to watch the parade for the next 20 seconds or so that it lasts, and then they are gone, disappeared into the night. I remain at the window for another minute or so, scarcely able to believe what I have seen. It doesn't seem possible. How on earth all of them managed to be wearing as little as they were, wandering the street, given it is so cold outside. How on earth they manage to wander the streets dressed as they were and not be arrested is also a fascinating thought.

The story caused much amusement at work the next day, and particularly generated a few of the "see, I told you so" kind of comments. I still hadn't put the sight out of my head the following night, when I was sitting at the computer and there was a whole bunch of woofing again. I jumped up, ran to the window, got my camera out and waited to see the parade again, but nothing. Not a thing. Dogs barking at cars. Big deal.

Oh well...

Regards to all,

Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment