My Visitors

Monday 26 July 2010

24 July 2010

Hello to all again.

First things first. I'm VERY tired. Another late night out, this time at a smoke-filled (and I mean "filled") karaoke bar, home just after 4AM with a couple of companions in tow. How did Saturday come to this?

It all started very promisingly. My visit to the motorbike shop with Mauricio and Lizette was excellent and problematic at the same time. They pretty much had their choice sorted out and just had to make sure they were happy and then go through the hoops of formalising the thing. Me, I wandered around the shop happily. I found the Aprilia that I thought was a nice looking bike and that I might be happy with. Not the cheapest thing in the world, but a bit different. This particular one was sold and awaiting collection (and had been for at least the last month since I was last in the shop), but they could get another one in quickly enough if I was keen. Hmmm, ok, I'll think about that.

Wandering further, BOTH of the big KTM's that were there previously had disappeared from the showroom floor. Surely they wouldn't have sold both of them in a few weeks. They are physically huge, very expensive, awesome, and not the sort of thing that you would think would move very quickly here. Still, the evidence was apparently there in front of me - no KTM's to salivate over.

But wait, what's that funny looking thing over in the corner? The one with the huge "bug-eyed" lights on the front of it. I'd like to say that I wandered nonchalantly over to have a casual look, but I think I probably left clouds of dust in my haste to check out the beast.

There are two brands of motorcyle whose engine/exhaust noise gets my heart racing. I know I'm not alone in this. Many feel the same when they hear a Ducati burbling away. I'd love to be the owner of a Duke but in general, they seem to be far too small for me to be remotely comfortable on. I've once ridden a relatively old one (thanks Matty) and had a ball on it, but crouching over it wasn't something I wanted to do for hours on end, as I think I'd need to be crow-barred off of it! As per usual, perhaps it's just my ignorance, but they just don't seem to make anything than things for pocket-sized Italians.

The other brand is also Italian - Moto Guzzi. My uncle Colin has been involved in the motorcycle business for many years and had long ago given me a detailed spiel about why Guzzi's were crap. This had subsequently coloured my view of them, but you still had to admit they sounded heavenly. And there, lurking in the corner, was something that was definitely Moto Guzzi. Big, red, whopping great motor with cylinder heads sticking out either side like who knows what. But it was in the shape of an off-road tourer! Shudders of delight went through me. I wasn't even vaguely aware that such a thing existed. I walked around and around it. Yep, it's real. Stelvio is the model name. 1,200cc motor. It looks new at first glance, but after I put my tongue back in my mouth and started paying attention, I realise that Mauricio is saying that it is second-hand. They guys in the shop offer to start it up. It's not possible to describe the throbbing sound of the exhaust note that does it justice. Just incredible. I ask for, and am offered, a test ride. How can I refuse?


So I climb aboard and off we go, just a quick blat around the block and back. Motor still sounds amazing, but I'm a bit worried about how it handles and the riding position, which for me, is not as roomy as I thought it'd be. I think back to what I saw of the rear tyre, which was well worn down the middle and not much at the sides. Maybe that's got a lot to do with how it is handling? Hard to know. When I get back, we get to talking. The bloke who has sold it has traded it in after about 17,000 (? - I'll have to check up on that) kilometres for one of those KTM's. Parts are difficult to get here in Copiapo. There is no authorised service centre here, and so on. They're doing their very best to talk me out of it, which I had to admit, wass taking its toll on my initial enthusiasm. Still, it's for sale in their shop. How much? I was expecting to hear a figure that translated into somewhere in the 20,000's, but it turns out that they'll off-load it for the equivalent of about A$17,000. Yep, still a lot, but given what I was expecting, it seems cheap, which I know is a bit perverse, but I can't help it... And it's a Moto Guzzi. And have I mentioned the sound it makes?

In a Siren-like attempt to lure me away, they shop guys announce that one of the KTM's that had gone missing, was in fact out in the workshop being readied for its new owner. They offered to get it out, fire it up and see what I thought. Event though it was sold, they had another one that could be in the showroom on Monday if I was interested. Yeah, OK, fair enough, let's have a look. So, the KTM comes out. KTM Adventure 990 R. Yep, it is still a beast, is a higher bike (better for us hombres with long legs) and so on. I climb on, we start it up, and yep, it sounds pretty good too, but still not quite like the Guzzi. In a world where fantasies come true, it'd be awesome to have both, but here in reality-land (Copiapo), that isn't going to happen. At some time in the future, my garage will definitely feature a collection of these things, but for now, one will do just fine.


Alright, so now I have plenty to think about. Probably best I do some thinking, as I've been known to make some spur-of-the-moment decisions and then think that perhaps it wasn't the best decision I could have made. Most of them turn out well enough in the end, but a bit of reflection would be no bad thing.

An attentive reader would, by this time, note that my initial mention of thinking about a Yamaha has gone waaaaay out the window!

Lizette gave me a lift back to my apartment, as Mauricio is riding his new bike home. She's a bit worried, to say the least, but he looks like he's in heaven. He's bought a new pair of gloves to go with the bike, and it looks like they will never leave his hands!

After a bit of lunch (chickpea and leek soup, would you believe), I duck downstairs to the ice-cream shop for a postre (dessert) vanilla ice-cream in a cone. Very yellow'ish vanilla ice-cream here, which I presume means they use a bit of buttermilk. Whatever the reason, it is excellent. As I'm slurping/munching away, what rolls past, but the KTM I was looking at just before, being ridden by it's new owner. Why am I so sure the owner is new to it? Because he manages to stall it at the lights right in front of me. Not so cool, but something we've all done. Right?

The afternoon disappears with some aimless wandering, followed by surfing the net and comparing bikes. KTM vs. Moto Guzzi. Moto Guzzi vs. KTM. Oh, I don't know... The reviews of the Stelvio are quite positive, but for the slightly smaller tank capacity, which limits its range to around 300km. Still quite a long way, but then again, it's a long way between petrol stations here as well, particularly if you are on the "road less travelled". I'll wait until Monday when I see this other KTM and then think a bit further.

Dinner time rolls around and yep, chickpea and leek soup again. My, but it's good. There is only enough left for lunch tomorrow, then that'll be it. I'll have to make some more, but another time, as there are other things for cooking tomorrow.

I try watching a bit of TV tonight, for the first time in a long time I'm laying on the couch, watching Lord of the Rings (in Spanish), and feeling a bit pleased with myself that I can sort of follow it. I'm also feeling a bit weary and having a small amount of trouble keeping my eyes open. As I'm about to succumb, my phone rings. Alexis and Patricio are thinking of heading out on the town tonight and want to know if I'll come along? Sure, why not. Further adventures in the Copiapo nightspots might be no bad thing. It's only about 9PM, so a few hours out won't greatly affect my plans for tomorrow (a drive along the coast and a bit of cooking), so yep, I'll be there. They say they'll give me a call later when they are ready. There's a band playing some Andean music somewhere, which sounds like a good night out.

Eventually, the boys call again. Ready to go? I head down to the Plaza and am collected, as planned. Small problem, nobody seems to know anything about where this band are playing - they've evaporated. After some brief consultation, we decide that Alexis' favourite (?) haunt, the "Arte Pub" looks like it might be where we'll go. It's a karaoke-bar, which I have to admit, doesn't excite me too much, as my minimal Australian experience of them is a bit dismal. Still, we'll see what happens. It's early when we get there, only about 10.30PM. We seat ourselves in the upstairs mezzanine floor and get ready to take in proceedings. So far, so good, one of the girls doing some singing sounds pretty good, and the fact that the words are all up on the screen means I can follow what is going on fairly easily. It's a great opportunity to hear how many words are pronounced/sung. It's just a shame about the smoking. Just about everyone is lit up, and all of the new arrivals continue with the theme. Across the course of the night, I think I count only 4 people, including me, that definitely did not smoke.

Across the rest of the night, the quality of the singers amazes me. Many of them are very good, and it seems that the pub attracts people to come and show off their talents. One young girl seems to be there with her mother and sister as chaperones, doesn't smoke, drinks what appears to be juice, and tries to get as much opportunity to sing as she can. She is fabulous, and earns very generous and well-deserved applause after each of her songs. It is almost a pity that everyone else seems keen to have a go as well, as it would be easy to listen to her all night. She did have some pretty stiff competition from a few of the other girls, and one guy in particular who was also very good. As expected, there were a few shockers (relatively speaking). Neither Alexis or Pato chose to sing with the microphone, although they did belt out a few vocals when some of their favourites came on.

I also picked up a new word while there. It describes a singer/song that is designed to make you sad, tug at your heart-strings and so on. We might call the song a "weepy" or "teary" one, but the word used here is "onionero" (get it?). Very descriptive, and I find it very funny, particularly as the spanish word for onion is "cebolla", but it has the same effect.

Aside from the music (and smoke), the rest of the night was filled with the usual scenario seen in pubs everywhere. Boys sitting at tables, looking longingly at the girls sitting at their tables. Occasional glances between the tables completely missed by the objectives of the glances, and no-one prepared to go and talk to the opposite sex at the other tables. Alexis found himself very much in love, but alas, nothing came of it, as he was resolutely ignored all night.

Eventually, the crowd was thinning at 4AM, so it was time to head off. Given it was so late, I invited the boys to my place, which was only a few minutes away. I reeked so badly that a shower was necessary before bed, finally crashing out at around 4.30AM. Looks very much like tomorrow's driving adventure won't be happening with an early start!

Must go, take care, love to all,

A

No comments:

Post a Comment