My Visitors

Friday 2 July 2010

28 June 2010

G'day!

Today is a public holiday in Chile. Not really sure why. Allegedly some religious thing. It turns out that the public holiday is well timed, as today Chile is playing Brazil in the futbol. It's a knockout game - the World Cup is over for the loser. If you looked at the past history between the two countries, that'd mean that Chile will be out, having only beaten Brazil something like 7 times in more than 90 years.


On Friday night, it seemed as though I'd made some foolish promise about having everyone come to my apartment for the game and I'd cook for everyone. There were a few complications to consider for this to happen;
  • Would I be cooking massive slabs of meat for the carnivores?
  • Where on earth would I be cooking anything for a group of people - I don't have a BBQ, let alone anywhere to put one even if I was interested, and the kitchen is very small.
  • I'm well out of practice in cooking for more than myself
OK, so I said I'd be doing the vego thing. That quickly sorted out the potential attendees, but didn't get rid of everyone. Drat. OK, I'll do home-made pizza's. Excellent I thought. In the end, my "problems" disappeared, with only Alexis being able to turn up. No complaints about the pizzas either (from Alexis)!
It also turned out that there was a large screen outdoor TV organised for the Plaza opposite my apartment, such that the everyone could turn up and watch the game there. With the crowd building and the excitement being palpable (mostly those red horns!), it was looking like the place to be to watch the goings on.





Once Alexis turned up, we scoffed the pizzas as the game got underway, Given that it was all happening, there was no leaving the TV to go to the plaza, so we watched the first half from there. Brazil got an early goal, again dampening everyone's enthusiasm, both in the apartment and the square.

Half time arrived and we headed out into the plaza. Alexis, like a good proportion of the population, smokes, so he needed some cleansing "air". Wandering the plaza watching the people was far more fun for me, despite having to partake in a fair amount of passive smoking courtesy of everyone else. So far, this is probably the hardest thing to deal with!

The game got underway again and we decided to stay in the plaza and watch the rest of the game, which sadly for the crowd, didn't produce much more than temporary excitement as the team nearly pulled off a couple of goals. Brazil eventually nailed any hope of a comeback by slotting their third for the game, and La Roja's continuing to butcher their good opportunities. Enthusiasm still there, skill just a bit lacking (in comparison with Brazil, that's nothing to be greatly ashamed of!).

At the end of the game, despite having lost, there was, despite the long faces from many, still plenty of cheering, clapping and the like for the team, given that this was their best performance in a long time.


Ultimately, the crowd dispersed peacefully, which was a relief to the gathered Carabinieri, who turned out in force with their riot-proofed buses, cars and the like, just to be sure...


So, at last, the game is over for Chile and their enthusiasm temporarily quietened. It seems no-one has a second favourite. It's Chile or nobody at the moment. We'll see what happens as the finals progress. I'm sure the Final will get everyone going again.

The upcoming week is supposed to feature the chairman of Mariana coming for a visit for a few days, so we'll see how that goes. Not sure whether than means I'll be working through the weekend, but if not, it'll be exploring the local mountain roads!

Best wishes to all, hope you are well.

A

No comments:

Post a Comment