My Visitors

Friday 2 July 2010

27 June 2010

Hola!
Well, after a days break, more futbol and BBQ's in Copiapo.

It was fortunate there was nothing planned for yesterday other than a long sleep-in, as it was a cold, grey and fairly miserable day in Copiapo. The temperature didn't get much over about 12 degrees, according to my little internet temperature gadget thingie. Certainly didn't feel much warmer than that. I'd spent the day writing on the computer at the office and knew it was cold outside, but didn't appreciate it until I left late in the day. Only about 150m to my apartment, but I was shivering by the time I got there, as I hadn't taken my jacket. The previous day had been about 25 degrees. Apart from the lack of rain, the temperature here is just as variable as Melbourne!

Given the weather, I was a bit worried about today being cold as well, as I don't have a great selection of winter clothes here yet. All of my stuff from Australia is still yet to be sent due to that bloody visa, and it seems that I am the only one who gives a damn about it and wants it to progress quickly! Mostly I just want my stuff from Perth, as I'm sick of living out of a "suitcase" - there's only so many clothing combinations you can wear before it all feels like Groundhog Day. Fortunately, the day was another clear and beautifully sunny one, low 20's. Perfecto!

Anyway, today's BBQ and futbol was to be hosted by two of the other Australians in Copiapo. Justin and Carlene Tolman (and their son Xavier) have been here for (I think) around 2 years and have just signed up for another year. The other Aussies in town, Rob and Nora (hope I've got that right), were also to come along. The BBQ was to be held at Justin's work office and yard, followed by watching the Mexico-Argentina game. Of the other attendees, there was a Chileno, and Argentinian and a Mexican. For the last two, the game was of huge importance. For the Aussies, who well and truly outnumbered the South Americans, the BBQ and a chat were more important, at least up to half time, after which we went indoors to watch the second half of the game on the big screen. Bad news for our Mexican friend, with them going down 3-1. There were no great hysterics from the poor guy, and our Argentinian was very restrained in his celebrations (just a smug smile), however the end of the game was the last we saw of our Mexican for the remainder of the day. Presumably he retired to his room...



I won't dwell on the food side of things today. I wouldn't want anyone to think that I'm obsessed... Just the usual stuff.

Back at Casa Tolman at the end of the day, it was great to get the wisdom of people who have been through everything I'm going through now. Their best advice - "...everything will take longer than it should...". I'm pleased to know it isn't just me!
Byeee for now!
A

No comments:

Post a Comment